Survivor, the long-running CBS reality show, is currently celebrating its 16th year on the air. The hit show that took America by storm in the early 2000s continues to be a ratings winner for CBS and is always finding new ways to reinvent itself. It shows no signs of slowing down as production is set to begin on seasons 33 and 34.
Inside Survivor has gathered all the latest news and rumors regarding the upcoming cycle of seasons.
UPDATE 05/31/16 – Final Cast revealed for Season 34.
- The 33rd (and 34th) editions of Survivor will be returning to Fiji. The show previously filmed in Macuata, Vanua Levu, Fiji back in 2006 for Survivor: Fiji.
- The production crew was supposed to be taking up residence on Mana Island (this possibly changed due to Hurricane Winston). Filming will mostly take place in the Mamanuca Islands.
- Pre-production started in Fiji a couple of months ago. Members of the Dream Team (the people that test out the challenges) flew out to location two weeks ago.
- Filming is scheduled to start the first week of April.
- The season will be all new players.
- There were two rounds of casting finals. The first took place in December during finale week for Survivor: Cambodia – Second Chance. The second round took place the first week of February.
- It was rumored that CBS struggled to finalize the cast. Specifically, they had trouble casting females.
- In February a tropical cyclone hit Fiji and caused devastation across many islands. Survivor production is still going ahead in Fiji although on a delayed schedule. The cast was originally expected to fly out to location March 15th but will now be leaving last week of March.
- There is currently no confirmation on the season’s theme. Rumors circulated about a regional divide (for example East vs. West vs. South), however, Inside Survivor has been informed this is not the case.
- The cast will be back in the US in time for the Survivor: Kaôh Rōng season finale which is scheduled to air May 18th.
- Like Season 33, this season will also be filming on the Mamanuca Islands in Fiji.
- Filming is scheduled to start in early June.
- The season will be all returning players.
- Casting has been calling returnees since January.
- The theme was approved by CBS in February according to Jeff Probst in an interview with the Writers Panel podcast.
- Inside Survivor was informed that it would NOT be a fan-vote. However, it should be noted that CBS has been known to make last minute changes. Right now, though, the returnees will be pre-selected by production/CBS.
- “Finals” will take place in early April in Los Angeles. These aren’t the same as normal casting finals for new contestants. It’s essentially a chance to update the potential returnees medical and psych records.
- On average, casting invite around 30-40 contestants to “finals”. Production and CBS then narrow down the names into a final cast for the season.
- Calls have gone out to various contestants including one-time players, two-time players, former winners, pre-merge boots, and post-merge boots. The names that Inside Survivor has heard so far are players from post-Heroes vs. Villains seasons. However, it is expected a lot more players were called and will attend finals.
- There is currently no confirmation on the season’s theme. However, Inside Survivor was informed it is not All Winners, Legends, Second Chance 2 or Heroes vs. Villains 2.
- The cast will be back in the US early July.
- There is no word on whether CBS will decide to air the seasons out of order like they did for Seasons 31 and 32. There would be no reason with them not doing a fan-vote twist unless a precedent was set and they choose to air the returnee season first regardless.
Stay tuned to Inside Survivor for more info over the coming weeks.