Survivor Ratings Hold Strong In 2015

According to Nielsen Media Research, Survivor was one of top 50 most-watched TV shows in America between September 2014 and May 2015. For Survivor: San Juan Del Sur – Blood vs. Water and Survivor: Worlds Apart, the show finished in 31st place with a total average of 11.351 million viewers.

Compared to the 2013-2014 ranking, Survivor has dropped down six places from 25th, but the overall viewer rating is slightly up from the previous 11.303. In a TV climate when ratings are on the decline across the board, Survivor’s ability to not only stabilize their ratings but increase them is very impressive.

More importantly, Survivor finished in 22nd place in the top TV shows for adults between 18-49 with a total average of 3.0. Even though this is down from the 2013-2014 season, to maintain anything above a 2.0 should be considered a success, especially for a show that is 16 years old. The reason this is important is that 18-49 is the key advertising demographic. The more attractive a show is to advertisers the more valuable it is to the network.

Check out the rating tables below:



RatingsDemo2015Source: Nielsen Media Research, Sept. 22, 2014-May 20, 2015, in millions.

It will be interesting to see how Survivor’s ratings hold up in the 2015-2016 season for Survivor: Cambodia – Second Chance and the upcoming Survivor: Kaôh Rōng – Brains vs. Brawn vs Beauty.

Photo Credit: jeffgunn via Compfight cc

Martin is a 28-year-old writer from Hull, England represented by Berlin Associates. He graduated from the University of Hull in English and Creative Writing. But if you have found yourself on this website you probably know him better as “Redmond” – the Survivor spoiler.

  • Wagner

    Martin, that 3.0 rating from adults between 18-49 includes DVR? Because the average for same day ratings was 2.32 and 2.26 for San Juan del Sur and Worlds Apart respectively (which was only down 6% and 5% from Blood vs. Water and Cagayan, a nice hold because the shows from the networks combined were down 11%). Anyway, here’s my source:

    • Martin Holmes

      Both lists include Live+7 numbers through May 3 and Live+Same Day for May 4-20.

      • Wagner

        Oh, ok. Thank you

  • Dutch

    After all these years survivor still has a major audience. It’s been consistent and has continued to maintain a solid fanbase. Unfortunately for Idol, a show that was once so high that it has fallen behind and declined in quality. The show never properly evolved and now they are putting an end to it’s misery. That’s why survivor has done so well though, the game and show is always evolving.