Welcome to Give Me Five! Each week, Brent Sullivan will look at the top five impactful moments from the latest episode that could influence the rest of the season.
Two tribes go to tribal council, two people win immunity, two people get voted off, still only five moments to discuss this week:
1. Laurel feels comfortable. Domenick thanked Laurel for saving himself and Kellyn and apologized for ever doubting her. Laurel was feeling pretty good about herself at this point. She had just saved those two, along with Wendell, from getting voted out. Kellyn still didn’t trust her, but Laurel told us that she was feeling pretty good about her place in the game and that both Wendell and Domenick are two of her closest allies. A lot has been made of her and Donathan’s relationship with the other two guys, and she still says that this is her top four, but after watching this week’s episode, either she is a great actor, or she is really bothered by the actions of her alliance. With only eight people left in the game, I am sure we are going to find out real soon how she really feels, but her actions at tribal this week might have just been a good show.
2. The Domenick and Wendell alliance. These two have been together from the start of the game. Sure, they were split up for a few rounds of voting, but otherwise, they have been stuck together like glue. Even when they were apart, they were talking to each other during a challenge. I really like this duo and I hope that they make it super far, but I fear that they may be getting too close. What I mean is that conversation that they had early in the episode and them whispering to each other at tribal and not including anyone else is bound to catch up with them if they are not careful. There have been former contestants accused of being a power couple for far less. At this point not only does everyone know they are together, but even some of their closest companions are taking note (like Laurel saying something about them having too much power since they both have idols). I am curious to see how they continue to play things as the numbers dwindle down.
3. Domenick finds a fake idol. There isn’t a whole lot to say about this that isn’t already obvious. Domenick went out on an idol hunt and found a coconut with a fake idol inside. The fake idol is the one that David Wright made and which Jay Starrett used in Season 33. It has no power, but Domenick may be able to trick someone else into thinking that they have an idol. And so he hid it in a place that appears to be an obvious place to have it spotted. The big question I have is, who did he tell? You would think that he would have said something at least to Wendell, so he doesn’t find it by accident. He could extend the same grace to Laurel as well as payback for saving him. I have to think that it will come back at some point; otherwise, they wouldn’t have spent so much time with Domenick on that section of the show.
4. Tribal Council One. I decided to break up the two different tribal councils to point out differences in each one. The first was with Sebastian, Angela, Chelsea, Donathan, and Jenna. This one was a pretty short and sweet tribal with the majority of the talk surrounding old tribal lines. Jenna had tried to trick Donathan into playing his hidden idol on her earlier in the day, and he even said that he was going to at one point, but in the end, he ended up playing it on himself and he actually looked a little foolish in the process. You could tell that he honestly had no clue what was going on. Now he has played his idol and is no longer safe from a future vote. If he can hold tight to his alliance with Laurel, Domenick, and Wendell he may be alright, but it may all depend on how he reacts after this vote.
5. Tribal Council Two. The second tribal was a lot more exciting to watch and a few more things went down. I already mentioned about Domenick and Wendell whispering to each other, but they were both pretty confident that Michael didn’t have an idol and that everyone needed to stick to the plan. Kellyn was too nervous and ended up playing her extra vote on Laurel. Because of that, it ended in a tie and Michael went home in the re-vote. So Donathan played his idol during the first tribal and Kellyn played her extra vote during the second one. Ghost Island is now minus two on the idol/advantage chart. Which means that we are most likely due for a return trip to Ghost Island next episode. There has to be other advantages/idols waiting to be found and used. Who will end up with the next one?
There you go. What moments from this week’s episode do you think made an impact?