Welcome to Give Me Five! Each week, Brent Sullivan will look at the top five moments from the latest episode that could influence the rest of the season.
1. Jay’s idol – everyone’s talking about it. Wow, this was such a fun event to witness. Will decides to tell Zeke about Jay’s idol and then all hell broke loose! Before long, everyone knew about Jay’s idol. The best part was, Jay didn’t seem to know that everyone knew. They even kept him out of the loop when trying to pick someone to vote for in hopes that he would be worried and play his idol. He did not fall for it this time, but it is only a matter of time before that knowledge gets him voted out or he plays it to save himself.
2. David’s heart to heart conversation with Ken. There were a lot of moments that happened in the two hours of Survivor this week, but I feel like I have to mention this. This scene just seems to go with the theme of the season. David is once again in the spotlight as he and Ken share a sweet moment. This appeared to be a conversation that had nothing to do with gameplay, just a couple of guys hanging out having a serious talk. But I cannot help but think that this is another step in the favorable edit of David Wright. The second part of this is that it also made Ken look really good. Showing Ken sticking by his buddy the whole double episode really showed his loyalty.
3. The end of the Gen X alliance. I think that we all knew that the big alliance couldn’t stay together forever and we were right as they just couldn’t get through two more votes before they started turning on each other. Chris, Bret, and Sunday couldn’t wait to take out Jessica, and when the other side of the alliance got word, they gathered their troops to try to get out Chris. I really liked Chris and was sorry to see him go, but his alliance turned on themselves too fast and so ended up on the short end. The obvious impact is that the Gen X crew is now split up with the two sides scattering and trying to pick up pieces where they can. We already saw this continue in the next episode where Bret and Sunday refused to work with the other side now. The big question that I have going forward is, will they ever be able to work things out to continue voting out the threats like Jay and Will or will they crumble completely and be eliminated one by one?
4. Bret and Zeke become drinking buddies and so much more. So, it seems like both Bret and Zeke go on a lot of rewards together. It also appears that they also enjoy drinking together. There was a very powerful moment when Bret chose to come out to Zeke during the reward. That seemed to solidify what was already in the works. They now have a pretty tight bond together along with Sunday. They showed their loyalty to Zeke already as well when they went against David’s group. A very significant immediate impact here, but will they be able to continue working together? They way this season has been going, who knows?!
5. Zeke vs. David! This was a great battle. Two people who are very strategic minded and love playing the game. They both drew their battle lines, gathered their troops and went to war. The best thing about it was that, if wasn’t for the rules of Survivor, it basically ended in a tie, with only a single little black rock tipping the scale in Zeke’s favor. It was fun to watch them both play and try to outdo the other one. The lines drawn here are going to make the next few episodes fun to watch.
Bonus: Since we had a double episode I had a lot to talk about. That tribal council at the end of the second episode was crazy and caused a few impactful things to happen. Jessica went home without being voted against this week. That will have a huge impact on David, Ken, Adam, and Hannah going forward. David played his idol for the wrong person. Adam thought he heard that Ken was going to get voted out, so David played his idol on Ken, but yet the votes went to Hannah. So now not only is his idol gone, but they still lost a number. The last thing that I want to mention is how heated that tribal was. Bret was really animated and even a little angry at times towards David. There were lots of whispers and comments flying around. I for one can’t wait to see the fallout from this tribal.
There you go. What moments from this week do you think made an impact?