Welcome to Give Me Five! where each week, Brent Sullivan will look at the top five moments from the latest episode that could influence the rest of the season.
First of all, welcome to my first ever Survivor article, I am a lifelong fan of the show and have been talking about it for years, now I am excited to get to share my thoughts with the rest of the Survivor world.
1. Let’s start with the vote off. Although it was a brilliant move by the “Triforce” alliance, I am not sure exactly what Will, Michaela, and Hannah were thinking. They were clearly on the outside of the tight foursome, and then they all suddenly vote with them at the very end? I agree that Mari had great potential and could have been a threat down the road, but they all should have stayed firm and voted off Figgy. I believe that it will come back to haunt one or two of them in the near future.
2. Ah, David. It was evident after the first episode that David had some great lasting potential with the possibility of a huge impact down the road based on the fact that we got a very heavy David edit. It appears that this remains to be the case this week as David finds the hidden immunity idol at the Gen X camp. Now, the question is, will he be paranoid and use it too early or will he calm down and play it smart? Both he and Ken now know about it, so I can see that twosome making a splash if they can continue to work together.
3. Paul’s health. Even though Dr. Joe cleared Paul to stay in the game and he even performed rather well at the challenge, what are the other people in that tribe going to do if he starts to show any more signs of sickness? He is already the oldest person out there, so he needs to be careful. It doesn’t take much for people to vote you out of this game, especially if they think that you will be a liability going forward.
4. This is a no-brainer choice… Taylor and Figgy. They are both young and clearly, don’t have a lot of experience watching Survivor. Not only are they not hiding the fact that they have an attraction, but they’re openly going off together all of the time. How long can they keep acting that way before the whole tribe gets scared of the Power Couple and one or both of them are voted out? They got lucky this week with Michelle and Jay working very hard to keep them all together, but how much longer can that last?
5. Now for one that is subtle… Ken! Is it just me or has Ken been playing a really good game so far? Yes, he isn’t technically in the majority alliance, but he did vote with them last week, plus he brought his top-notch survival skills with him. Ken was able to provide valuable help with the shelter building, plus, the dude caught Octopus Prime for crying out loud. Now he and David have this little mini-alliance brewing with four members (apparently Lucy is part of this according to CeCe’s bonus confessional on YouTube). Preseason, I didn’t think that Ken would do very well, but he has surprised me and has made and immediate impact as of two weeks in.
Which moments do you think will have the biggest impact on the season? Let us know in the comments below.