Welcome to Give Me Five! Each week, Brent Sullivan will look at the top five impactful moments from the latest episode that could influence the rest of the season.
It was another great episode of the Dom and Wendell show this week on Survivor: Ghost Island. Those two once again received a majority of the screen time as well as running the day to day activities. But as this is the last normal Give Me Five of the season, let’s talk about what else went down that will affect next week’s finale:
1. Laurel and Donathan discuss who to vote for. It seems like there is a moment in every single episode where Laurel and Donathan are having a discussion between the two of them on when they should make a move on Domenick and Wendell. This is the first time that we see Donathan really go against Laurel’s thinking. Laurel knows that she has to cut both of the guys in order to win the game, but because she values their friendship she doesn’t want to do it just yet. Donathan says that he will play the game by himself if he has too and then goes off to talk to Kellyn. The thing here is that Donathan is right. Both Domenick and Wendell will beat either one of them in the final tribal council, so they need to take them both out if they have any shot at winning the game. The fact that Laurel also knows this but has yet to make a move seems crazy, especially since she is the only one in the game that knows about both of their idols. At this point, she may be better off to just ride it out to the end to see what happens since it is going to be nearly impossible to take them both out beforehand. I am curious to see if she tries to attempt a move next episode anyway.
2. Reward challenge victory. First of all, what an amazing challenge that was. As soon as I saw it, I wanted to go out there and try it! Somehow the Survivor Gods let Domenick and Wendell be on the same team and they ran the challenge pretty much the same way that they have been running the game… with no competition. With the victory came some decisions – decisions that they seemed to make extremely quickly. They sent Sebastian to Ghost Island (see point number 3) and picked Laurel to go on the reward with them. These are both extremely smart choices, they got Laurel some food and fun, got Sebastian an extra vote, and sent everyone else back to camp with no one to strategize with. Having Laurel on the reward with them seemed to help solidify their relationship which is exactly what Wendell eluded to earlier when they picked her. The big question here is, does she really think that she has a shot at winning if she is sitting there with both of them? Does she really believe that they will split the vote and she will get enough to get her the victory? I am not sure what she is thinking, but we will find out soon.
3. Sebastian gets an extra vote. As part of the reward challenge victory, Domenick and Wendell sent Sebastian the Pirate to Ghost Island. There, he got to play a game and he won an extra vote. But not just any extra vote, this is the exact same one that Kellyn had earlier in the season and didn’t play right. The two questions surrounding this are when is he going to use the extra vote and who will he use it against? Sebastian may not be the most strategic player, but he has made it this long, so let’s see how he plays this out.
4. Donathan flips out. I am not sure what exactly happened to make Donathan start acting the way he did. I think seeing Domenick move something from his own bag and place it in Wendell’s was the last straw and he lost it. Even though his chances of winning were already slim with both Domenick and Wendell as his competition, his game is most likely sunk now. He was running around talking to Kellyn trying to get her on the same page; he even told her that they were going to play on idol for her just to get him out. That part obviously didn’t happen, but he was definitely sure that it was him going home. He even picked up his bags during the re-vote. I am curious to see how he plays it from here though. With only three more tribals left in the season, at this point I am not sure what he can do to save himself.
5. Tribal council fun. This was a fun tribal, we got to see a tie vote, another Naviti go home, and lots of whispering. The whispering is the part that I want to point out. There was absolutely no reason that Kellyn, Laurel, Donathan, Sebastian, and Angela couldn’t have gotten together to vote out the two biggest threats in the game. Not only can they not get together to vote them out, but they are letting them run all of the strategic decisions as well. Most of the whispering at tribal council was done either between the two of them or them whispering to someone else. It baffles me that these two guys are still able to tell everyone what to do and who to vote for. I give them all of the kudos in the world for figuring out this game and keeping each other so tight, plus doing this in a new player season as well. It is usually tough for new players to run the whole game so perfectly. I think that most people can see either one of these guys winning, the big question is… which one? I honestly can’t tell you which one I think is playing the better game. All I know is that if they are both sitting in the final three, that will be a great final tribal council to watch.
There you go. What moments from this week’s penultimate episode do you think made an impact for the 3-hour finale?