Welcome to Give Me Five! Each week, Brent Sullivan will look at the top five impactful moments from the latest episode that could influence the rest of the season.
I think we all knew that Natalie wasn’t long for this game. It was only a matter of time before her abrasive behavior and bossy attitude got her voted out. Even though it was fun to watch her on my TV this season, I don’t really blame her tribemates for voting her out. The bad part for me is that she took up a lot of screen time this week, so I need to come up with some different moments that happened. Thankfully, there are always plenty to choose from:
1. Kara feels left out. After the vote last episode, Kara is feeling left out and rightfully so. Even though she is still in the game, she got blindsided in the vote-off of Natalia. Alec, for whatever reason, decided that he wanted to go with Davie and Elizabeth, now Kara is left to try and pick up the pieces. After a brief discussion with Alec about what went down, she immediately turned around and started throwing him under the bus to everyone. Individually talking to Elizabeth, Carl and Davie to feel them out about what went down. It appears that some of them may be on her side, but Elizabeth still isn’t sure that she can trust Kara. If Vuku has to go to another tribal before the merge, I am not sure how the Davids will vote, but let’s see who can charm them more in the meantime.
2. Another storm causes another evacuation. I went back and forth about having this be one of my points, but ultimately, I do think that this made an impact. It most likely made several impacts to be honest, but the one that I want to point out is that Tiva was struggling with their shelter. They literally had water running under their shelter, almost overflowing where they sleep. So, on top of already being cold and wet, they now had to deal with this. I’m not sure that I can be convinced that pulling them away for a day where they were dry and safe (and potentially slept better) didn’t improve their gameplay. After all, even though they didn’t win the reward, they were able to come back and win immunity. This obviously doesn’t affect the rest of the season, but indirectly it does since we don’t know who might have gone to tribal if they were not evacuated.
3. Dan finds another idol. There is something about finding hidden items on Survivor. It doesn’t matter if it is an idol, a clue, or an advantage, but as soon as you find one, the rest just seem to jump right in your lap. I know that I’m being a little be sarcastic here, I understand that once you find one, then you know exactly what you are looking for, and some people are just better than others at finding them anyway. However, with that being said, Dan seems to be the one this season. After already having one idol in his possession, he goes out on the hunt for the Tiva idol and comes up with an idol clue. It tells him that it is at the next immunity challenge and he ends up getting it pretty easily if you ask me. I’m sure that his heart was racing at that point, but he got it, and now he has two idols and only one that people know about.
4. Christian steps in. I find it incredibly difficult to write one of these without talking about Christian. This guy is just TV gold and has been from the start. The way he stepped in during the immunity challenge, after John had dropped the ball off of the snake puzzle-thing, and pulled out a second-place finish for tribal immunity was amazing to watch. The reason that I think it is so impactful is that he is fitting in with everyone like I talked about last week. Not only is he is an official brochacho, but he has also proven that he is really good in challenges. He may be the nerdy superfan, but he is slowly making himself a powerhouse of a threat. As more and more people get voted off, he will be more in the spotlight and have fewer places to hide. Side note: I am saying this as a Christian fan, so I hope he doesn’t shine too bright, we all want him to stay around awhile.
5. Mike sides with the Davids. Like I mentioned before, I don’t think that any of us are surprised at the outcome of the vote, but what does shock me is that the original tribes now have even numbers. With a Goliath being voted out both of the last two episodes, they have squandered a big lead with a merge looming. I still question whether or not Angelina voted for Lyrsa just to try and get Natalie’s jacket, but Mike definitely did. Both him and Nick have an alliance going, so maybe he will be okay moving forward, but with both him and Alec turning on the Goliaths, that may make an interesting few weeks post-merge. One more thing to mention though is that the David tribe wasn’t fully onboard with each other before the swap either, so old tribal lines may be gone for good at this point. Let’s bring on the merge and see what happens!!!
There you go. What moments from this week’s episode do you think made an impact?